Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Journal #8

Part 1: Why do you think Zora Neale Hurston settled on the title she did - what effect does it have, how does it alter your reading, etc.?
Part 2: What alternate title could she have used? How would that have altered one's reading?
Part 3: What is the title of your pastiche and why do you think that is the strongest possible title?
 
1. I think that Zora Neale Hurston chose this title because she references religion (especially God) a lot. She makes people seem like they are forms of God, and yet like God is an all powerful being that could not be human. She uses religion to make statements, points, and descriptions. Also, the specific phrase "Their eyes were watching God" appears in the climax of the story during the storm.
 
2. The Life of Black People is an alternate title she could have used. However, it is not as creative nor does it tie back to any specific point in the book. It also would have made me feel that this is what all black people lived like which would have been highly unrealistic.
 
3. I am not really sure what to call my pastice. I am still in the works with that. I want to have a strong, yet simple name. I want something that stands out and is easy to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment